Sharing meals with family and friends is one of the highlights of the holiday season. Whether you indulge in old favorites or try new recipes, consider adding these eye-healthy foods to your holid ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 10-25-2016
Correcting a vision problem may require one of several treatment options, including prescription eyewear, medicated eye drops, or surgery. LASIK is one kind of refractive eye surgery that is used to correct common vision problems including farsightedness and nearsightedness.
During a LASIK procedure, your corneas are reshaped in such a way that light entering the eye can properly focus on your retinas. This allows for clearer vision without the need for prescriptive eyewear, such as glasses or contacts. In the majority of cases, results are seen within 24 hours--not bad for a procedure that typically takes less than 15 minutes!
From The Eye Doctor: 5 Fast Facts About LASIK
1. It's safe. The procedure itself is mostly pain-free, and post-operative side effects, such as dry eyes, are generally mild. Like any surgery, there is at least a small risk of complications, such as infection or night vision problems.
2. It's effective. According to the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, up to 96% of people who receive LASIK achieve 20/20 vision.
3. It can be costly--but worth it. Expenses vary, but LASIK procedure typically costs between $1,500 and $2,100 per eye.
4. It's not for everyone...especially for people with cataracts, chronic dry eye, and diabetes-related eye problems.
5. ...So it's important to speak with an ophthalmologist first. During a pre-surgical evaluation, we the time to educate you fully about LASIK, as well as any other treatment options that may be appropriate for you. He or she can also discuss any pre- and post-operative eye care that you'll need to aid your vision and maximize your results.
At Shreveport Eye Clinic, our ophthalmologist team is committed to helping you make the best decisions when it comes to your vision and eye health. That's why we gladly offer pre- and post-operative eye care as well as pre-surgery evaluations to help you determine if LASIK eye surgery is right for you. If you live in the Shreveport or Bossier, LA area and have been wondering about LASIK surgery, or if you have any other eye care needs, call us today at 318-861-4009 to schedule your initial consultation.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.